TOM YUM KUNG
Sour and spicy prawn soup
6 large spiny-clawed prawns
1 lemon grass stem, cut into short lengths
2-3 kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
5-6 crushed hot chilies
3 tbsp. lime juice
1-2 tbsp. fish sauce
3 cups coup stock
1. Shell and devein the prawns and remove all inedible parts.
2. Heat the stock in a pot. When it is boiling, put in the lemon grass and then the prawns. Season with the fish sauce, chilies, and lime juice. Then, add the kaffir lime leaves remove from the heat, and serve hot.
note: Ground dried chilies can be substituted for the hot chilies in this recipe; add 1 teaspoonful of ground dried chilies to the boiling stock.
TOD MUN PLA
Fried Fish Cakes
500 grams white fish meat (e.g. ladyfinger), minced or chopped
1 tbsp. red curry paste
1/2 cup yard-long beans, sliced fine
3 tbsp. kaffir lime leaves, minced or chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
3 cups vegetable oil
1. Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with the hand.
2. Spoon the mixture 2 tbsp.; shape into small pattieds about 3" in diameter and deep fry in vegetable oil until golden brown.
3. Serve with peanut sweet chili sauce.
peanut sweet chili sauce
Use cucumber relish and add 1/4 cup sliced shallot and 1/2 cup freshly gound peanuts.
TOM KHA KAI
Chicken boiled with galangal in coconut milk
300 grams chicken meat
1/2 cup thin slices of young galangai
1 lemon grass stem, cut into slices
5 kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
5-6 small hot chilies, broken open
5 shallots, crushed
1 cup coconut cream
2 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 tbsp. salt
3 tbsp. lime juice
2 tbsp. fish sauce
1. Wash the chicken and cut it into thin slices.
2. Bring the coconut milk to a boil and add the galangal, lemon grass, shallot, and kaffir lime leaves. Add the chicken, salt and simmer slowly over low heat. When the chicken is done, pour the coconut cream onto the soup, stir gently, and when the soup returns to a boil, turn off the heat.
3. Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and chilies, transfer to a bowl, and serve hot.
Savory chopped chicken salad
2 cups chopped chicken breast with skin
2 tbsp. sliced shallot
2 tbsp. chopped phak chi farang
1/4 cup mint leaves
2-3 tbsp. ground parched rice
1-2 tbsp. ground dried chilies
4 tbsp. lime juice
3 tbsp. fish sauce
fresh vegetables: cucumbers, Yard-long beans, Chinese cabbage, lettuce, spring onion
1. Mix 2 tablespoonsful of the lime juice with the chopped chicken. Place the chicken in a dry wok over moderate heat and stir until the chicken is done. Turn off the heat.
2. Toss with the chicken the rest of the lime juice, the fish sauce, ground parched rice, ground chili, shallot, phakchi farang, and mint. Taste and season additionally as desired.
3. Serve with fresh vegetables.
note: If you like giblets, you can cut these up into small pieces and dry fry with the chicken brest meat.